Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gardening

I have a vegetable garden. Gardening, raising at least some of your own food, is one of my cornerstones for a simple life. I feel calm and connected even thinking about a garden. I remember years ago when I lived in an apartment fantasizing about rows of corn, tomatoes, and bean. It was my "go to your happy place" place.
Today I work and play in my garden from mid-March , when I plant seeds under the grow light, to the end of October, when the garlic sets go under ground.
At the moment my pea plants are a couple inches high, the planting is done, and I'm in the process of hardening-off the tomatoes and peppers. Now I wait, not necessarily patiently, for the beets or the carrots to show that they are actually in the rows that I planted. Then I'll probably run over to the bed where I planted the beans to see if they are up knowing full well that I only sowed the bean seeds last week.
It will be a couple of months before I'll be dining on a meal of my own vegetables. I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment